Categories
Story Of London

London’s Mediæval Parish Churches: Part 3 – From the Walbrook to Cheapside (p2)

London’s Mediæval Parish Churches: Part 3 – From the Walbrook to Cheapside
by Bill McCann

Page 2

62. St Martin Vintry

Also St Martin de Beremand
Situated College Hill EC4
First mentioned in 11th century and rebuilt in 1399 and restored in the mid 15th century. Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt.
Parish united with St Michael Paternoster Royal 1670

63. St Mary Aldermanbury

Also: St Mary The Virgin Aldermanbury
Situated Aldermanbury EC2.
Destroyed 1666 and rebuilt by Wren. Destroyed in 1940 and not rebuilt.
Parish united with St Alphage London Wall 1917, St Giles Cripplegate 1954.
St Mary le Bow

64. St Mary Le Bow

Also: Bow Church
Situated: Cheapside EC2
First mentioned 1091. Tower collapsed in 1271 and was not rebuilt until 1521.Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1670-3. The upper part of the spire was rebuilt by George Gwilt in 1818-20 and the interior was refurbished by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1878-9. Bombed in WW2 and rebuilt 1956-62 by Laurence King.

65. St Mary Aldermary

Also St Mary Aldermarychurch
Situated: Queen Victoria Street EC4
Possibly earlier than the 11th century, it was rebuilt, except for the tower in1510-18. Destroyed in the Great Fire and rebuilt by Wren 1681-2, The tower was completed 1702-4. Restored in 1867-8, it was damaged in WW2 and restored again in1954.

66. All Hallows Honey Lane

Situated Honey Lane EC2
First mentioned in 1235 and repaired in 1625. Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt.
Parish united with St Mary le Bow 1670

67. St James Garlickhithe

Situated: Garlick Hill EC4
Founded in the 12th century and rebuilt in 1326. Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1676-83. The steeple was added 1714-17. Damaged in WW” it was restored in 1954-63 by Lockhart Smith and Alexander Gale.

68. St Mary Magdalen

Situated Milk Street E C2
Known at least from the mediaeval period it was destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt
Parish united with St Lawrence Jewry 1670

69. St Alban

Situated Wood Street EC2
Situated: Wood Street
Built on alleged site of the palace chapel of King Offa in 793. Rebuilt in the Gothic style in 1633-4 but destroyed in 1666. It was rebuilt by Wren 1682-7 and destroyed again in 1940. Only the Tower remains.
Parish united with St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
The tower of St Alban Wood Street

70. Holy Trinity The Less

Situated Knightrider Street EC4
First mentioned in 1258 and rebuilt in 1607-8. Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt but the site was acquired for the German church by Hanseatic merchants.
Parish united with St Michael Queenhithe 1670, St James Garlickhithe 1875

71. All Hallows Bread Street

Also All Hallows Watling Street
Situated Bread Street EC4
First mentioned in 1221, enlarged in1349 and chapel added in 1350. In 1559 the steeple was destroyed by lightening and the church itself was substantially repaired in 1625. Destroyed in 1666, rebuilt by Wren Demolished in 1876.
Parish united with St Mary le Bow 1876

72. St Michael Wood Street

Situated Wood Street EC2
First mentioned in 1170. Destroyed 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1670-5. Demolished 1894.
Parish united with St Alban Wood Street 1894, St Vedast Foster Lane 1954.
Interior of St Michael Wood Street

73. St Peter Westcheap

Also St Peter’s at the Crosse in Cheap
Situated Cheapside EC2
Built in the 12th century in and rebuilt in the 16th.Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, part of churchyard remains.
Parish united with St Matthew Friday Street 1670, St Vedast Foster Lane 1882

74. St Olave Silver Street

Situated Noble Street EC2
Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt. Part of churchyard remains.
Parish united with St Alban Wood Street 1670, St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
Interior of St Mildred Bread Street

75. St Mildred Bread Street

Situated Bread Street EC4
Built before 1252. Destroyed in 1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1677-83. Bombed and completely destroyed in1941 and not rebuilt.
Parish united with St Mary le Bow 1954

76. St Michael Queenhithe

Situated Upper Thames Street EC4
First recorded in the 12th century. Destroyed in1666 and rebuilt by Wren 1676-7. Demolished 1875.
Parish united with Michael Paternoster Royal 1875.

77. St Mary Staining

Situated Staining Lane EC2
First mentioned in 1189 and rebuilt in the late 16th century. Destroyed in 1666 and not rebuilt, a garden with some tombstones remain in Oat Lane.

<-previous page   1   2   3   next page->